Citizens Advice – February 2021

We’ve had a lot of issues receiving our post recently and haven’t seen our usual postie around in a little while. I know that a couple of Christmas cards I sent in December still haven’t been received. And some of my neighbours who are shielding, and completely reliant on shopping online, have had some of their deliveries delayed too. Is there anything I can do?

You’re not alone, we know posties are currently working very hard, but we’ve seen a huge increase in the number of people coming to us for advice about post and parcel issues.


If you haven’t received any letters in your post, think about if there’s anything you were expecting like bills that might be due soon. If you’re missing a bill you could check your account online to see how else, you could pay. Lots of businesses offer online chat, email and phone to contact them.

If you’re worried about missing letters about any benefits you receive you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions on the number given on any previous letters you’ve had. If you have questions about Universal Credit and don’t have a digital account, you can call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 you can check Royal Mail’s website at for updates on areas which may be experiencing delays.


If you bought something from a business to be delivered, it’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you.

If the seller used a courier, they should chase the courier to find out what’s happened to your order – it’s not your responsibility.

Check the delivery address you gave the seller. Then contact them and ask where your order is.

If the seller claims they've delivered it or don't know where it is, you can ask for a redelivery. You might be able to get a refund in some circumstances where the delivery time was essential, and
you let the trader know ahead of time.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, you can ask the seller to deliver the item again if the item wasn’t
delivered either:

● by an agreed date
● within a reasonable time – usually within 30 days.

If the new delivery fails to come within a reasonable time you can ask the trader for a refund. If you ordered something from a private seller or if you think a seller had broken the law by
refusing to deliver an item, you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for help. Tel 0808 223 1133.

We are providing advice by telephone and email, Monday – Thursday, 10am – 1pm. Please phone 01787 321400 if you need advice and leave a message and someone will call you back when available. We will attempt three times to call you back, so please expect a call from a withheld number.

You can also ring our Advice line on Freephone 0808 278 7868 or 0800 144 88 48.

Alternatively, contact us via email at or by using the contact facility on
our website

Contact: Elaine Gorman
Sudbury & District Citizens Advice
Keyse House
Acton Lane
CO10 1QN